[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
• View topic - Help needed to rescue 2 dogs!!!

Help needed to rescue 2 dogs!!!

Non-horse related topics or anything else.

Help needed to rescue 2 dogs!!!

Postby AUEquine » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:18 pm

I'll just copy my post from another board, since I don't know if I can write this all again without losing it. Warning not for the weak stomach. But I can't take these dogs home with me for many reason, mostly being that I'm on leased land and my landlord will freak. So if anyone can help out, or knows of anyone who can, please let me know!

Ok, well I've had one hell of a day. On top of my issues with my feaverish house hunt, I experienced the worst case of animal crualty I've ever seen! There was a forclosure house near us that we were interested in (house, 26 acres, barn), so I drove out there after lunch to see what I thought and if it was worth going to see the inside and such with our agent. On my way back to the barn I literaly tripped over a rotting horse skull. I looked around and lying off to the side is the neck and rib cage. The poor thing still had hair on the skull. There were large tufts of mane and tail scattered the whole way to the barn. I peeked into the interior of the barn (large concrete floor area), and it was obvious that the horse had died right there. There was a large stain/puddle of.... well you can imagine.
I left the house and called my real estate agent. I told her about the dead horse, but told her I would still like to see the house. I was giving the benifit of the doubt that this horse could have died naturaly and been hauled into the woods, or could have died somewhere off that property, and dogs had just drug the carcus up.
So hubby and I met the real estate agent at the house when he got off work. We went through the house... it slopes about 15 degrees, you feel like you're walking down hill... so needless to say we had an easy decision. So we went back towards the barn so I could show the agent the horse. Hubby and I started looking through the barn just out of morbid curiosity, and when we went out the back side to the covered 'stall' area I could have puked. A horse had been locked in one of the stalls, and I can only guess, had tried to escape. But their laying through a small 1 1/1' section of missing wall was the head and neck of another dead horse. It had been trapped, with it's head through the wall. I could not see into the stall with it, so I don't know what else could have been in there.
When we emerged from the barn we were greeted by 2 dogs. They were so thin, no tags, no collars, nothing. It was very obvious they had been abandoned too. They appear to be in fairly good health, they've stayed alive by eating the dead horses and luckily theres a lake on the property for water. They were both just as friendly as can be, ran up to us with tails just a wagging. One looks like a Yellow Lab/Pit cross, and the other is mostly Boxer, could be mixed with hound or pit because it's solid red.
I didn't have any way to transport the dogs, so we had to leave them. And I couldn't go back since I had to be at work tonight. I decided I would call the sheriff's office after dinner (though we couldn't eat much) and report it. But right as I finished dinner my real esate agent called to tell me she just couldn't quit thinking about it and that she had just called them. The sheriff's office called me, and I gave them my description (I didn't let the agent go in the barn after what I found, I'm used to seeing dead animals and horrible things, no one else needs to see that). So the County Sheriff's department has sent and investigator out there already tonight. And my wonderful real esate agent drove all the way back out there (good 45 minute drive) to meet with the investigator.
Unfortunatly the county that this is in doesn't have a humane society/pound, and the sheriff's dept doesn't have any facilities to house the dogs. So the dogs have no where to go. The agent said she was going to try to catch the dogs and put them at her parents over night, if she can't I'm going to go try to catch them in the morning. I have no way to house two stray intact male dogs thought. I've sent an e-mail out to our entire vet school, and I hope that someone will respond and be able to foster one or both, or offer some form of help for these poor creatures. If not I guess I'll just have to take them to the humane society in our town. They don't look too bad. They are definitely skinny, but not completely emaciated. They still have energy, etc. But their 'food source' is pretty much gone. Their coats looked healthy. The Boxer had a few hairless spots on his hind and elbows, typical for boxers, especially if they've been sleeping on that concrete floor.
So I'm going to try to get them tomorrow, and if I don't have any help offered from people I guess I'm gonna take them to the vet and at least get a heart worm test done, and see what kind of condition they are really in. Then I will go from there. Hopefully they'll just need some wormer, some food, and minimal vet care.

Just got a call from the agent, she said the dogs didn't show up when she was out there. So I'll try tomorrow to see if they show up. They took pictures and a report and will be pressing charges on the previous owners. Department of Ag will also be out tomorrow to investigate in the daylight.
~Julie
"The Weenie Charmer"
Kings Royal Fiddler and Skip The Cash Bar
AUEquine

Re: Help needed to rescue 2 dogs!!!

Postby tinasi » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:33 pm

I wish I could help. :( I see this sort of stuff everyday now but thankfully Texas has a good animal welfare system in place.

Where are the dogs now? What city?
Tina Stewart
Southeast Horse Lovers Site Administrator
Al/Ga Horse Lovers Moderator * Reining Enthusiast * Stallion Snob * Computer Geek
http://www.southeasthorselovers.com
http://www.commanderswhiz.com
tinasi
Boss Lady

Postby jan in armuchee » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:53 pm

I posted on another message board about my down the road, white trash neighbors. They moved and left all their critters. I had called animal rescue a couple months ago about them not taking care of their horse and mini pony. No shelter, no pasture, no nothing. I had heard that Ga Dept of Equine care had come out and read them the riot act. Hoped things would improve. I had noticed right before the snow, they had a moving truck at their trailer. Thank the Lord they will finally be gone. Well they left alright, but left not only the two horses, but chickens & rabbits. Since I had driven by and noticed they were gone, I noticed that the horses situation was dire, espeiclly since the snow. So I took three bales of hay down there. While there, the landlord (another white trash older man) knew they had moved out and left the animals. The other neighbor also came over (nice older couple) and they had brought a bag of feed. Together we discovered the bunnies & chickens. Naturally none had food. We got them fed & watered and some type of shelter. The trashy landlord knew the animals were there, knew no feed was there, and yet did nothing to attempt to get them something. Not even any water. This old man wanted me not to call Ga Dept of Equine folks as he wants to hold them hostage to get back rent from the trash that abandoned them. Doen't make since. He can't afford to feed himself much less any other animals.
I did happen to see where the former owners was attempting to sell them on CL. The paint was listed for 400 and the mini for 200. They both are geldings and seems to be real sweeties. (CL, NW Ga-Armuchee actually if you care to look at listing/[pic)
I stopped by this afternoon to check on everyone. Naturally no one had any food out. I put out hay, and stopped by the store to get two bags of feed, bag os chicken scratch and a bag of bunny food. If it takes it, I will go by daily to make sure they are at least fed. My DH is upset about the lack of care, but doen't want me to take any more critters under my wing.
Did I mention that the state did get an anomious call about the living conditions.....
Jan
Jan in Armuchee GA.
NW Section of Georgia which is near Rome.
jan in armuchee

Postby jan in armuchee » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:09 am

Thank the Lord, someone rescued the horse and it was gone from the property. I continue to provide feed for the pony & other critters making sure they are fed daily. I dropped by yesterday to drop off another bale of hay and the old man said that the horse sold for $100 and they rode it off into the sunset.......Then as I was relaxing last night, someone came by my house, rang the door bale. They said they almost hit the pony as it was loose and in the middle of the road. Since they knew I had horses they figured it was mine. Well no, but I grabbed a lead rope ( I always have one handy at the back door, doesn't everyone) a flash light and off I went. I drove to the spot where I knew it was in the road and started looking & calling. The old man came out finally and said the former owner had come over earlier and gave it to someone. They attempted to load it into a trailer and it pulled away, running and they were unable to catch it, so they LEFT IT LOOSE. Asswipes. It took me a few minutes but I located the frightened pony. It came to me, I was able to put the lead rope on without anyproblem. But it was too far for me to walk it back home in the dark. SO I had to place it into a shed/over hang type building that the old man had. I didn't want to do that. I pleaded with the old man to tell the owners to let me have the pony. At least I knew that it would be safe if I had him. I await. It would have been a huge mess if the pony had been hit by a car, could have resulted in human death and the pony would have died for sure. I hope things work out. Keep him in your prayers. What are owners thinking....
Jan
Jan in Armuchee GA.
jan in armuchee

Postby jan in armuchee » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:03 am

Pony safe and away from that place. Spoke with the original owners yesterday. A local rescue got it. Thank the Lord for placing it anywhere but where it was. Now if I can clean up the rest of the neighborhood...
Jan in Armuchee GA.
jan in armuchee

Postby Francis30642 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:12 pm

Thank goodness for folks like you two.. its just a sad sad situation when the animals are suffering because of ignorant, inconsiderate, incompetant and whole host of other words I won't use.. people. I cannot imagine going off and leaving any animals! I spent days trying to trap feral cats when I last moved cause I had trapped them once and taken them in to be spayed and neutered and didn't want them left behind!

I am hoping the situations will be less frequent if and when the economy turns around a little bit. I know its tough for me to take care of my horses in a manner to which they have become accustomed so I know it is for others!!
Tina
but not *the* Tina

"Happiness is a journey, not a destination"
Francis30642

Postby jan in armuchee » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:15 pm

I know that times are tough and getting worse, but has anyone noticed the number of animals on Craigs List? All over. All types. Most are free. You can get just about anything you can think of, free. Folks just can't afford to feed themselves much less a animal.
Jan
Jan in Armuchee GA.
jan in armuchee

Postby AUEquine » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:12 pm

They have issued a warrent for the former owner's arrest.
I never did get any resolution with the dogs. I went out to try to catch them, but they weren't around. I talked to a neighbor and he thinks they belong to the other neighbor. Not sure if they were originally his dogs, or if they've just kinda taken up with him. Either way I didn't want to take them then. So I told the sheriff what I had found out, but haven't heard back about the dogs.
It's just sick what some people will do. There apparently were some ponies left in the pasture and some people came and rescued them when they saw that they were abandoned. But why lock those two horses up? WHY?
And how did the real estate company not bother to look, or didn't notice them? Someone had to go out there to winterize the pipes, so I'm sure they had to check the barn for any water spigots, etc. How did they not notice them (not sure if they were dead or alive then)? This place is smack between two vet schools that take donations, and multiple humane societies. Selfish Selfish Selfish.

In my opinion this guy should be locked in a box with his own filth, no food, no water, and left to die. And have dogs chewing on him before he actually dies, since I'm sure that's what happened to those horses.
~Julie
"The Weenie Charmer"
Kings Royal Fiddler and Skip The Cash Bar
AUEquine

Return to Off Topic Discussion