[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
• View topic - GBHS BBQ EVENT FOR THE HORSES

GBHS BBQ EVENT FOR THE HORSES

If you are going to be out of state or out of town and wanted to meet up with other members, post here!

GBHS BBQ EVENT FOR THE HORSES

Postby blue star equine » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:35 am

Last edited by blue star equine on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://bluestarequine.blogspot.com
"...An astronaut, whose gaze afar, seems harnessed fast to a distant star..."
blue star equine

Re: GBHS BBQ EVENT FOR THE HORSESHORSES

Postby AUEquine » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:09 pm

Oh bummer I'll still be in Perry, GA at World Championships. I was wanting to go to this.
~Julie
"The Weenie Charmer"
Kings Royal Fiddler and Skip The Cash Bar
AUEquine

Re: GBHS BBQ EVENT FOR THE HORSES

Postby Glide Ride » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:22 pm

don't you find is strange they raise money for farm
animals by having an event funded by feeding farm animals for profit.
you would think they could find some other way
They are fighting against large beef , hog , and chicken farms,but
getting meat from the same folks they are against
how hyocritical can they get
Glide Ride

Postby blue star equine » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:55 pm

i have to edit myself on this one around my friends who work for these groups... but yes, i see the irony: an antislaughter group feeding slaughtered animals to raise money to save the animals they refuse to allow the gov't to provide slaughter for.
blue star equine

Postby blue star equine » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:35 pm

I have been educated, and offer my apologies: the GBHS is NOT affiliated with the HSUS, which IS an anti-slaughter group along the likes of PETA, etc. GBHS does sometimes work in concert with HSUS on certain cases, but they are an independent, non-profit entity which as far as I know, or have been told, have not made a statement for or against the slaughter of large animals. They are not a 'no-kill' shelter so it would follow that they would allow the same reasoning for larger animals, especially crippled-up or unhealthy ones.

I personally don't believe the US has an endangerment of cattle or pigs and I eat both (though they are bad for me, bad for your arteries, and we all should probably eat them less). I do believe in humane slaughter (such as the killing of anything can be) and have read several of Temple Grandin's books (who is the phD behind how most slaughterhouses are designed today, with keeping stress at a minimum being at the core of the designs - Temple Grandin has Asperger's syndrome, which is under the umbrella of autism-spectrum disorder - this enables her to relate much more to the mental states of animals than even other people - but I digress... and the comparisons or similarities between autism and horses is another discussion entirely).

There are many, many, many rescue organizations out there as well as countless individuals who do not receive any tax benefits but have taken on "rescue" cases (rehabs, projects, pitiful auction horses, etc) - I think to a point that the term "rescue horse" has been broadened beyond what it used to mean a decade ago. GBHS is working hard to build their barn and program and they do, truly, take a proactive stance (within the confines of law, with whom they must work in concert) on actual rescue horses. In fact, many of their horses are kept there and maintained until the litigation that they themselves may be a party to is resolved so that the horse may be placed.

I think their support in the Birmingham area is certainly warranted - the more horse people to involve themselves with GBHS, the better - because GBHS did start out doing primarily small animal type work and they are still learning, developing, and refining the direction of their equine program - they need advice, opinions, and support; and certainly we horse folks have them!
blue star equine

Return to Member Gatherings